Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Say Goodbye, Social LIfe

Whoever said it was a good idea to take spring classes needs to be medicated. Maybe some classes are better in the spring, but the classes I'm taking are not any less intensive than they would be in the fall. And I have to complete them in half the time. Sure, I'm only taking half the credits, but I'm balancing that with around 30 hours of work a week. So goodbye fun. I'll see you in July.

(I am kind of excited that we're working with BYU Broadcasting  for 318 though. Their new building is AMAZING.)

So what do I do when I get stressed? I see a movie, of course. Here's what I've seen lately:


Source Code (PG-13)
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga
It's basically Inception meets Groundhog Day, starring the gorgeous Jake Gyllenhal, who plays the man in the Source Code, a device that allows one to relive the last 8 minutes of a person's life. Jake's character is trying to figure out who bombed a Chicago train so that a future incident can be prevented. The recurring scenarios don't ever feel old, and the action is balanced by some nice funny moments and romance.  There's also a really nice twist at the end that will make you leave the theater scratching your head. (My favorite kind of ending :)
B+



Jane Eyre (PG-13)
Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender
I've read the book but hadn't yet seen any of the other various movie versions, so I really did enjoy this adaptation. It had all the main scenes that I remember from the novel and made the most boring parts of the book (the beginning) really short and sweet. Wasikowska does an excellent portrayal of Miss Eyre, as both shy and delicate yet strong-willed and intense. Mr. Rochester wasn't too awful-looking either. I went with a friend who had seen other adaptations, and she says she really enjoyed this version as it was slightly different than the others. I feel like they could have developed the romance a little more, though. This version was more about the mystery.
B


Water for Elephants (PG-13)
Starring: Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, Christoph Waltz
I was actually pleasantly surprised by this movie. This is probably one of the few times I disagree with the critics about a film. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for period pieces. Pattinson does a nice job here, taking a break from playing a deathly pale, brooding vampire to play a Cornell dropout who ends up working as a vet (and elephant trainer) for a traveling circus. The head of the circus is a psycho, but his wife is sweet superstar Reese Witherspoon, for whom our lovely Rob falls in love. The acting was pretty good (especially Waltz's performance) and I found the way they portrayed circus life quite fascinating. Also, the elephant was adorable. Apparently she's been in dozens of movies. Quite the superstar, that paciderm.
B+


(PS can I just say that I HATE Women's Conference? They have got to be the most rude, disrespectful, and superficial women I have ever seen. And there were hordes of them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment