Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This Week in Pop Culture: Season Finale Edition

A lot of my favorite shows have had their season finale, so for this installment I'm just going to tell you what shows you need to catch up with now that the season's over. 

Community

Obviously I'm going to list my favorite show first. Barring the incredibly depressing news of creator Dan Harmon's recent firing, the last three episodes of Community were some of the best yet. We got a 16-bit video game episode, a parody of heist films, and a touching finale that featured character development and great wrapping up of the season's arcs. It was incredibly touching and works as a series finale as well, if the 4th season ends up sucking like I have a fear it's going to. #sixseasonsandweloveyoudanharmon

Some of my favorite quotes:

"No, take him to JAIL. He MURDERED someone. You guys are weird."

"Leave no witnesses! These are your loose ends. I'm just tying them up."

"Chang eats the sun and drinks the skies and they both go with him when he dies."

"Well this place is 20 cat turds and a Pixies poster away from being your apartment."

Video game Troy bouncing the entire time.

"You should meet my best friend Jeffrey!"

 "I just want to reiterate that this should be the only time you seduce a child over the Internet."

"And the truth is...the pathetically, stupidly, inconveniently obvious truth is: helping only ourselves is bad, and helping each other is good."





Parks and Recreation

Spoiler alert: Leslie wins. Or does she? Whatever the outcome, this was one of the most sweet and touching finales ever. Amy Poehler is just wonderful. The scene where she sends Ben away with her Washington Monument statue was just an incredibly sweet scene that highlights what this show does so well: make us feel for these characters, even in a crazy town like Pawnee. 

Oh, and Andy trying to fix a computer like an Xbox by dropping it and blowing on it? Comedy gold.



The Vampire Diaries 

THIS. SHOW. Even in a bumpy season, this show certainly knows how to do season finales. I wasn't expecting Elena to turn so soon in the series, but I'm excited for the possibilities and I'm glad it was done under circumstances she couldn't control and because she was making a sacrifice. I'm devastated that Alaric is gone. But Elijah and his hair made a triumphant return. And that's enough to make any episode great.


Survivor

Yes, I still love this show. Even on season 24, I still love watching this human chess match of a show, watching how players manipulate and finagle their way to a million dollars by out-strategizing and out-playing the others. This year's winner, Kim, is probably the best female winner to ever win, in my opinion. She just played a perfect game. She got everyone to trust her, she was always two steps ahead in her strategy, and she was a beast at immunity challenges. It was a pretty good season overall, give or take a racist homosexual Republican.


And, because I know you care, here are the two freshman shows that I was able to stick with all year. This is no small feat, mind you.

Best NEW Shows of 2011-2012

New Girl

This show started out a little rocky, but I liked Zooey Deschanel and Schmidt's character enough to keep watching, and about 6 episodes in I was hooked. This show became a great ensemble comedy about 30-somethings trying to figure out their life. Anything Schmidt says is golden and Nick also became a standout. This show also gave me a new pronunciation of "chutney" and a new (coke) drinking game I want to try. And of course there were scenes like this:



Revenge

This show definitely ties The Vampire Diaries in terms of season finale craziness. In this crazy good yet extremely soapy last episode, we had not one, not two, but three "death" scenes (if they actually died remains to be seen), a surprise pregnancy, a mother-come-back-to-life, and a "this is larger than you or me" governmental conspiracy. And it was done with such good performances and pathos that it didn't seem as ridiculous as it all sounds. I'm so excited to get back to the revenge maestro Emily, her trusty sidekick Nolan, the lovable Jack, ice-cold Victoria, and the rest of the Graysons next fall. 


Is it September yet?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment