Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

This Week in Pop Culture

Movies

OUTER SPACE IS REALLY COOL AND REALLY TERRIFYING. That's all I could basically think after watching Gravity. I think my nails were bitten all the way down from the sheer tension I felt watching this spectacular film. First of all, you need to see this in IMAX 3D, or it's basically pointless. Second, prepare to be amazed by Sandra Bullock, who carries this film pretty much by herself. And third, I never, ever, want to be an astronaut...as cool as the views may be.

Television

Season 5 of The Vampire Diaries is off to a great start, with great acting by Paul Wesley, playing an evil character this season, and human Katherine, still just as devious as when she was a vampire. The plots already seem more fun than the dregs of last season (ugh sire bond), and I'm so excited to see Rippahhh Stefan again.

I took Glee off my Hulu queue this year, but of course I had to watch Cory Monteith's tribute episode. And I couldn't help myself; I definitely cried. Especially when Rachel was singing her song; you could tell Lea Michele wasn't acting in that moment. Heartbreaking.

New shows I'm enjoying so far: The Tomorrow People, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. 

YouTube

The Autobiography of Jane Eyre is a great modern adaptation of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. This recent episode ingeniously sums up Jane's backstory in a Draw My Life video, consolidating the most boring part of the book in about four minutes. Brilliance.


Also, here's my new diet video where I attempt to make a healthy omelette and fail miserably.


Theater

So I have my name in a playbill. No big deal. The musical is called "Orphan Train" and it was performed to celebrate Grand Central Terminal's 100th anniversary. It was a cute play about the importance of trying to stop children from falling through the cracks. I'll let you know of future performances if they happen!

















News

Here's a great article by Linda Holmes on sexism in Survivor. You all know I love this show, but there's no denying that it has some serious issues at its core. Which are not helped at all by misogynistic Jeff Propst, as great as I sometimes find him when ripping a new one on a certain Colton Cumbie.

So many great guest stars on Community...whenever it returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment