Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2013: Pop Culture Edition

So I've already listed what I'm looking forward to in 2013 in regards to my personal life, but I couldn't forget the wealth of entertainment goodies that will come out this year. Here's the top 10 things I'm looking forward to, in list of when they'll occur. Hopefully they live up to expectations.

1. 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards (tomorrow at 6 p.m., NBC)

Usually the Golden Globes, aka the poor man's Academy Awards, would never make this list. But this year Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are hosting. These two comedic goddesses can make anything thing shine, including my desire to see a three-hour awards show.



2. The Following (January 21, FOX) and Cult (February 19, CW)

I have a weird fascination with cults. Not that I'll ever join one (although some would say otherwise regarding my particular religion), but I think the psychology behind them is really interesting. When TV shows do a cult episode (Veronica Mars, Dollhouse) most people find them hacky, but I actually quite enjoy them. So two TV shows based around the twisted aspects of cult mentality sound right up my alley. The Following was created by Kevin Williamson (Dawson's Creek, The Vampire Diaries) and has been getting rave reviews so far. Not much has been said about Cult, but the trailers for it look creepy and fun and it stars the wonderful Matt Davis. So we'll see how both of these turn out.







3. Series finales of The Office (May, NBC) and 30 Rock (January 31, NBC)

"In five years we'll all either be working for him, or dead by his hand" - Jack Donaghy, speaking of Kenneth Parcell in a 2007 episode of 30 Rock.

With the end of 30 Rock, The Office, and most likely Community, the great NBC Thursday night comedy block as we know it will end. 30 Rock has always been one of my favorite shows, and this last season has been one of its best. I'll be very sad to see Jack, Liz, Kenneth, and the others go. The Office, let's face it, should have ended two seasons ago, but it's been such a big part of my life that I feel like I'll be losing an old friend when Dunder Mifflin closes its doors for good.

RIP NBC Comedy.



4. Community season 4 (February 4, aka October 19)

I don't really need an explanation for this, do I?


5. Frightened Rabbit's new album, Pedestrian Verse (February 5)

Ever since Syd took me to their concert down in Newport four years ago, I've become a big fan of these Scottish sad-sacks. Their past two albums have been great and I really enjoyed their recent EP, "State Hospital." So I have no worries that this new album will be fantastic as well.


6. Arrested Development's 4th season. (May sometime, Netflix)

Don't really need an explanation for this one either. Although the news that season 4 will be less a season than a string of character studies does make me more cautiously optimistic. Let's just hope they haven't made a huge mistake or blue themselves with this one.

7. Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing (June 7)

Joss Whedon. My favorite Shakespeare comedy. Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, and Nathan Fillion. Enough said.


8. Monsters University (June 21)

I LOVED Monsters Inc. And Pixar needs its comeback movie, as much as it shames me to say it (Let me work for you and I won't ever say those things again, Pixar! I love you!). The trailer for it looks promising, and it will be fun, if nothing else, to hang with Mike and Sully again for a couple of hours.



9. Finding out the name of Kim Kardashian's baby (June-ish)

Pure schadenfreude. Jay-Z is Kanye's rival after all, so I'm really looking forward to how they're going to top Blue Ivy...

10. Catching Fire (November 22)

I really liked The Hunger Games movie, probably more so than the book (I liked Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal of Katniss more than the whiner in the book). Catching Fire is mostly just a rehash of The Hunger Games, but I like pretty much everyone involved with it and could think of worse ways to spend two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment