Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Missing Maurice

Hey look, three posts in a row! This must be some kind of record. 

"I still think the same way I thought as a child. I still worry, I'm still frightened...Nothing changes."- Maurice Sendak

In case you either weren't aware or didn't see today's wonderful Google Doodle, today would have been Maurice Sendak's 85th birthday. I'm not sure how many people know this, and it's not that original, but Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorite books of all time. When I  was little I would imagine myself as Max, escaping the duldrums of my life to have adventures with the Wild Things. It's probably the book that made me love fantasy and the ways the imagination can come up with worlds more exciting than our own that we can retreat into every once in a while. 

So imagine my happiness when I was asked to help pitch the new PBS Digital video at work today. This is why I love PR, because you can help share wonderful things that you love and that inspire you to the rest of the world. This interview, along with every other interview I've watched of Sendak, just made me respect him even more. Sendak's life and views, at least on religion, were very different than mine, but there was something so raw about the way he spoke about children and the regard he has for them that you can't help but admire him and his view of the world. What an inspiring visionary and creative mind, and I hope we can all learn a bit from this wild rumpus. Let's not ever forget Mr. Sendak, and let's not ever forget what it felt like to be a kid. 


Also, the interview series he did with Colbert will always remain one of my favorite things ever. I only hope to be as crotchety and carefree as Sendak was so late in life. 


"That is the truth of her life. That she must accept her inadequacy and her failure to live up to expectations...but no one really wanted anything more from her."

No comments:

Post a Comment