Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

This Week in Pop Culture

Movies

Yesterday I saw Short Term 12 and bawled my eyes out. But in a good way? This indie about a foster home and the kids and adults that try to build a community regardless of their difficult circumstances was absolutely beautiful and eye-opening. Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr. were brilliant. as were the kids who played Marcus and Jayden. Everyone go see it when it comes to a theater near you.


Television

I'm in the middle of season four of Doctor Who. I'm actually really enjoying Donna as a companion, despite initially hating her in the Christmas special. She's toned down on the shrillness and I love that she doesn't fawn over the doctor. It was cute with Rose but got old real quick with Martha. Donna isn't afraid to tell it like it is. I'm also really enjoying the deeper themes of the Doctor's sense of morality--who's ok to save, and who isn't? It's a tricky philosophical question in any circumstance but I think the show is handling it quite well.

YouTube

I just love this meme because I really think it encapsulates a lot about where the entertainment industry is headed and that New Hollywood is really starting to come from today's YouTubers.


I'm obsessed with half of these people (did you know Zoe and Alfie are dating in real life? I can't even get over it), and YouTube really is starting to churn out people into more mainstream Hollywood projects. For instance, comedian Noel Kristi of YouTube fame just recently got cast on SNL. Go her!


News

The VMAs are happening right now and I am not watching them. According to my Twitter feed, however, Taylor Swift is saying dirty things off camera, Miley is saying dirty things on camera, and Gaga is acting crazy. So the usual. I'll catch the highlights on Buzzfeed tomorrow.

BEN AFFLECK AS BATMAN. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING ABOUT THIS.

I'm sure he'll be great. I mean, he's already played a superhero, right? Right???

1 comment: