Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

These Weeks in Pop Culture

Things have gotten a little backlogged. I apologize. Lots to cover:

Movies

Let's see, when I did last do a TWPC? September 8? Sheesh. Well good thing I've only seen one new movie, Rush. A Ron Howard biopic that somehow makes race car driving both sexy and filled with nail-biting anxiety, I quite enjoyed this one. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl were extremely well cast, and their  rivalry was intense. Like, battle-to-the-death intense. It's crazy what some men will do to get well, a rush. 

Television

I think I mentioned fall TV has started? Well now you know what's taken up so much of my time. ANYWAY. The Parks and Recreation premiere was perfect and way better than a 6th season premiere deserves to be. I still love hanging out with those characters each week. And Andy Dwyer is getting way too attractive. It was a little distracting.

I've really enjoyed Brooklyn Nine-Nine so far. The Michael J. Fox Show is ok. New Girl is great like always, and I really hope this is the Year of Winston. The color-blind American citizen deserves it. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was as fun as a premiere as I had hoped (ily Clark Gregg). And Survivor is as crazy as I had hoped it would be. I actually like the loved ones camp a little better than the returnee's. Mostly because that tribe doesn't have Colton Freakin' Cumbie. (Also, RIP Rupert. NOT)

Also, I've caught up to season 6 on Doctor Who. Steven Moffat is a mind-blowing genius and Matt Smith is a world treasure. That is all.

Lessons to live by.



Theater

BIG FISH. EVERYONE GO SEE BIG FISH. Probably Tim Burton's last great movie, Big Fish is one of my favorites. And the musical is everything I hoped. And more. I bawled like a baby at the ending, which was even more emotional than the movie. And Norbert Leo Butz. What a brilliant performer. He's on stage literally 98% of the time and doesn't miss a beat. I'm obsessed and will be seeing this again soon once it's out of previews.

I also saw Cinderella, which was cute and has some great costume changes, but really. Go see Big Fish.

So so good. 


Music

Wheelchair Jimmy, I mean Drake, has a new album and I'm quite diggin it. I don't quite get all this "Started from the Bottom" nonsense though since he basically started as a child star on a hit Canadian show. Maybe he considers Canadian shows the bottom? Nevertheless it's a fun album to listen to surrounded by my sistas on the subway.



Guilty pleasure of the moment: Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball." It's catchy ok? Although this Daily Grace basically sums up my feelings of the music video:



YouTube

Do you guys know about Arturo Trejo's channel? They're a Mormon couple with the cutest son ever and their videos are HILARIOUS. Their last two videos especially had me in stitches.




News

Breaking Bad finale is happening as we speak. I'm still in the middle of season two, so I'm trying to avoid Twitter for the next few days.

Merritt Weaver's speech from the Emmy's is literally the best thing I've seen these past few weeks. She's my new hero.



Also, for those of you who don't know, I've started a vlog of my very own, chronicling my diet and my quest to get healthy. Many thanks to Jenny who visited last weekend and helped on my last video.



That's it for now. I wrote this all really fast because I want to go to sleep so I apologize for the choppy sentences. But I'm not really that sorry.

 Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment