Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

6 TV Shows That Were Gone Too Soon

I thought I'd try a different kind of post this time. If you know anything about me, you know that I love television and movies almost to the point that it's unhealthy (but not quite - I still make time for school and a real life  :) So I think every now and then I will impart my vast knowledge of what's good and what's not in the entertainment industry. (Because we all know that my taste is better than yours, and there is no such thing as a correct differing opinion. Joking, of course.) So, yeah, I encourage you all to check these shows out as soon as you can, and if you don't like them, then I guess you're just really weird. ;)

So here we are, the first installment of my entertainment wisdom. I present to you:

6 Television Shows That Were Gone Too Soon 
(aka networks that don't recognize a great show when they see one):

1) Veronica Mars: I've never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer (shocking, I know), but apparently when that show was airing, Buffy was considered *the* girl role-model for our generation. She was strong and kicked butt daily. Well, sorry, Buffy, but according to critics, there's a new girl role-model in town. And her name is Veronica Mars. Smart, witty, and tougher than the boys, cute little Veronica Mars (played by Kristen Bell) and her PI dad solve crimes in the town of Neptune and at Neptune High, where the line between have's and have-nots is huge. The script, engaging cases, and fabulous actress Kristen Bell make this show a must-see. Oh, and it has Jason Dohring. Need I say more? Too bad USA canceled this show half-way through its 3rd season, with little resolved.



2) Pushing Daisies: Hmmm. what can I NOT say about how great Pushing Daisies is? Part romance, part fantasy, part crime mystery, part comedy, and even part musical (thanks to the wonderful Kristen Chenoweth), this show literally had it all. The bright colors, the witty dialogue, the creative mysteries, the adorable Lee Pace, all made for a one-of-a-kind show the likes of which television will probably never see again. This show had the misfortune of occurring right in the middle of the writer's strike, and didn't get more than two short seasons. Poor Brian Fuller, his shows never seem to do that well.  I will forever miss and love you, Ned the piemaker, and your magical finger that can bring the dead back to life.




3) Freaks and Geeks: Jason Segal. James Franco. Seth Rogen. Any of these names ring a bell? This is where they all started, my friends. Freaks and Geeks only lasted one season, but I laughed the whole way through while also getting to know and love the characters. It serves to remind me how there is a little bit of freak and geek in each one of us :)




4) Dead Like Me: I first decided to check out this show because it had an interesting concept (about a girl who becomes a grim reaper) and because it had Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride, who is brilliant in this show). But while being hilarious and a little absurd (this show was also created by Brian Fuller, who loves those Rube Goldberg-type death scenes), this show also really makes you think hard about the meaning of life and how we're supposed to be living it. Death can be a lot closer than you think. This show only had two short seasons, and does contain strong language, just as a warning.




5) 10 Things I Hate About You: This might make some of you hate me, but I was never really a huge fan of the movie by the same name. Other than the gorgeous Heath Ledger, the movie just seemed like another high school romantic comedy to me. However, the show, for better or worse, wasn't too similar to its movie counterpart, other than names and the general concept. This show was actually pretty dang funny, and casting Ethan Peck as Patrick Verona didn't hurt things, either ;) I really loved the dynamic between Kat and Bianca and their dad, who, fun fact, also played the father in the film. This show got canceled by ABC Family after one season, and ends on the most annoying cliffhanger. Still worth every second, though.




6) Ugly Betty: I miss my weekly dose of Betty! The story of sweet, unfashionable Betty Suarez working at Mode fashion magazine made for four seasons of great laughs and tears. You can't help but love every character, from the evil Wilhelmina, to the playboy but lovable Daniel, to the obnoxious and rude Marc and Amanda. And Betty's awesome family makes you root for her even more. The last few episodes of the series were some of the best, and I'm so sad this show was canceled before its time.



Well, I hope you enjoyed my first installment of Saatkamp's Shows, as I'm now calling it. Unless you can think of a better name, haha. Next up will either be my favorite current TV shows or my personal Oscar list. So stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment