Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Feeling Better and Doing Ok

I'm happy to report that my sickness is almost gone! I am no longer coughing up blood and I no longer sound like Darth Vader. A happy occasion for all involved (mainly, me).

This last week I also went up to Washington to attend my grandma's funeral. I'm sad that she's gone and I'll miss her terribly, but it was nice to see all the family and reminisce about all the hilarious stories involving my grandmother. Grandma Connie was truly one of the most exaggerated personalities I have ever met, and it was great remembering all the good times with her. I'll know I'll see her again someday. And be able to ask her about those hysterical photo albums...

I do have three tests this week, which is  no fun. But now that I'm feeling better I'm more motivated to learn. Or something. I'll get through them somehow.

Sorry that I've mostly just been rambling. Just thought I should update... But here's what I know you're looking for, my usual piece of entertainment news. Here's a video of Mark Zuckerberg and Jesse Eisenberg together on SNL. And I thought Zuckerberg hadn't even seen The Social Network... good to know he has a self-deprecating sense of humor.


Also, today I discovered just about the coolest thing ever - the film review encyclopedia section of the library! It's in the Humanities section next to Samuel Johnson's dictionary, of all places, but it contains several different sets of highly respected film reviewers, some even dating back to the 1900s. Even in 1907, Variety could write scathing reviews. Of one 6 minute film called "A Disastrous Flirtation," Variety wrote, "Of a plot there is none evident, but perhaps that is the point." The one on Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs was also entertaining, saying, "So perfect is the illusion, so tender the romance and fantasy, so emotional are certain portions when the acting of the characters strikes a depth comparable to the sincerity of human players, that the film approaches real greatness. It is an inspired and inspiring work, the commercial success of which will be notable." Well, yeah.

Needless to say I spent more time in the library today than I did all last semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment